Since the creation of our Breaking Down Barriers Accessibility Initiative in 2011, Boston Landmarks Orchestra has been committed to removing barriers of access for all people with disabilities to enjoy our concerts. Landmarks has been an UP designated organization since 2015.
How are Landmarks concerts more accessible?
- Text-to-speech versions of digital program books
- Ambassadors greet and assist people at a designated drop-off point
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters as performers at select concerts. Rather than providing direct translation of the spoken word, interpreters communicate the feeling of the music and the remarks given during the concert.
Please call (617) 987-2000 or e-mail [email protected] for more information or if you have any comments or suggestions.
Hatch Shell Accessibility Information
- Arrive at the designated drop-off location next to the Hatch Shell. Enter 47 David G. Mugar Way, Boston, MA 02114 into your GPS.
- Landmarks volunteers are available to assist people with disabilities to and from the drop-off location.
- There is also limited handicapped parking along Beacon Street near Arlington Street.
- There is no parking allowed on Storrow Drive.
Click here for more information for The RIDE
For all concerts held at the DCR’s Hatch Shell:
Suggested arrival time: 6:40 pm
Suggested pick-up time: 9:15 pm
Concerts end at 9:00 pm
Drop-off and pick-up location:
47 David Mugar Way
Boston, MA 02114
Click here for a walking map from Charles/MGH MBTA Station to the DCR Hatch Shell
Walking distance from Charles/MGH MBTA station to the Esplanade: 2,480 feet (about 1/2 mile)
The path from the station to the footbridge over Storrow Drive has ramps with slopes that exceed access standards in both length and grade of slope. For some individuals the climb up the bridge could be very difficult. The bridge is 717 feet from Charles Circle to the Esplanade end, 316 feet of which is uphill with grades as much as 10%. There is one level area at the second turn of the ramps on each side. The first turn going up the bridge is not level, the second turn does provide a level space. The distance from the beginning of the bridge to the first level area is 106 feet.
From Arlington (Green Line station):
Click here for a walking map from Arlington MBTA Station to the DCR Hatch Shell
Walking distance from Arlington MBTA station to the Esplanade: 2,480 feet (about 1/2 mile)
Use the Fiedler Footbridge from Beacon Street over the westbound lane of Storrow Drive. It is 686 feet in length, and leads directly to the concert area. The first 319 feet of the bridge is uphill, the slope of which varies, but at the steepest is as much as 9.7%. There are two level areas at the turns before the ramp on each side. The first level area on the ramps is 63 feet from the beginning of the bridge.
Accessibility Advisory Council
Boston Landmarks Orchestra’s Accessibility Advisory Council was founded in 2022 and meets quarterly. The Council provides input on Landmarks’ current accessibility initiatives and offers ideas of their own. Led by Landmarks’ Breaking Down Barriers Coordinator Christopher Robinson, the Council provides invaluable lived experience perspectives that make Landmarks more accessible for all.
For more information or to join the Council, contact Mare Silva at [email protected] or 617-987-2000, ext. 102