One City Choir 2014
The Boston Landmarks Orchestra is thrilled to announce the return of its One City Choir this summer! The choir will be featured on Opening Night of the orchestra's 2014 season of concerts at the DCR's Hatch Shell on July 16. The featured choral work will be Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana.
The One City Choir, launched in the summer of 2012, is a large symphonic choir comprising committed and passionate singers from all of Boston’s 20 neighborhoods and many surrounding communities. The choir takes its name from the words of Boston civic leader Hubie Jones, who has advocated that “Boston can be one city through art and culture.”
All singers in the Boston area who have experience singing in choirs are invited to join the One City Choir. The choir will be joined by the Back Bay Chorale. Scott Allen Jarrett, music director of the Back Bay Chorale, will prepare the choir, and Landmarks Orchestra Music Director Christopher Wilkins will conduct the performance.
The One City Choir will sing the following movements of Carmina Burana:
- No. 1 - O fortuna
- No. 5 - entering for the third verse (double forte) - fourth bar of Rehearsal # 31
- No. 9 – Rehearsal # 67 and the reprise of this material just before Sq. 76
- No. 10 - Were diu werlt alle min (complete)
- No. 20 - All sing the material before and after Rehearsal # 127; One City Choir sing Coro I from the measure before rehearsal # 128
- No. 22 – first and last verses
- No. 24 - Blanzifor et Hellena
- No. 25 - O fortuna (reprise of movement No. 1
The remaining movements will be sung by the Back Bay Chorale.
Boston Landmarks Orchestra will provide access to practice copies for you to learn your music, and sufficient original printed copies will be obtained for the performance. An online pronunciation guide for the Latin and German text will also be provided.
Rehearsals are scheduled as follows:
- Monday, July 7, 7-10 pm (choir and piano—One City Choir movements will be rehearsed first) at Emmanuel Church, 15 Newbury Street, Boston
- Tuesday, July 8, 7-10 pm (choir and piano—One City Choir movements will be rehearsed first) at Christian Science Auditorium,
235 Huntington Ave., Boston (across the street from Symphony Hall,
behind Horticultural Hall) *NOTE CHANGE OF LOCATION
- Monday, July 14, 7-10 pm (choir and piano) Fraser Studio at WGBH, 1 Guest Street, Brighton
- Tuesday, July 15, 7-10 pm (choir, soloists, and full orchestra): Christian Science Auditorium, 235 Huntington Ave., Boston (across the street from Symphony Hall, behind Horticultural Hall)
- Wednesday July 16, 5:30-6:30 pm at the Hatch Shell (concert is at 7:00 pm)
Please note that the choir will be standing on risers throughout second half of the concert (approximately 65 minutes of music). If you are unable to stand for this length of time, we will make every effort to accommodate you, but until we know the final size of the choir, we cannot determine if we can fit chairs or stools on the stage.
If you would like to participate in the One City Choir this year, please send an e-mail with the information below to email@example.com. If you should have any questions or concerns, please call our Production Hotline at (617) 870-3910.
Choir Affiliation (if any):